Monday, July 9, 2007

The Kindness of Strangers

This is the old, dead battery from my grandmother's truck, previously home to a mouse's nest. I'm currently working on moving closer to work, so my dad and I went to the farm and got her truck started. We had to borrow jumper cables from a member of the extended family, but she started. :) Then I watched the volt meter very carefully and worried that it wouldn't start again. BUT, it seemed fine after I got back. Went and saw a movie (Live Free and Die Hard, very good, many explosions, best "Yippee-ki-yay" line so far), and afterwards it started right up.

However, I was not so lucky tonight. Stopped to get gas, and when I tried to start it after filling up, it was dead, D-E-D, ded. SO, I walks into the Kwik-E-Mart (or whatever) and says to the young man behind the counter, "I'm going to need a jump, is there any chance that someone around here could help me out?" (Talking to strangers, not my favorite pastime.) BUT, it was small-town Kansas, and all the employees in the place were talked to (it connected with a Subway), and they found me Tammy, who was getting gas at the next pump, who had jumper cables, and would be willing to help me. :) So I was eventually sent on my merry way... (Directly to the Wal-Mart without passing go, to buy a battery—the tale of putting in the battery involves someone else very helpful, but not so stranger-like. :o) )

No comments: